Thursday, January 29, 2009

This is the Way We Go to School

Well it finally happened......what we have been dreading for 2 1/2 weeks now. We had a rather large storm yesterday.......although it didn't turn out to be what they anticipated.......it still did leave a significant amount of snow on our road. (We are in trouble when we get the slightest skiff of snow--let alone 8".) I picked the kids up from school, knowing there was no way to get that van back up the road to the house. My first thought was--"Man, I wish I hadn't already exercised!!!" But once you are down that hill, you don't have a choice but to walk back up.
~~
I was smart and brought the older kids boots for them--since they are too cool to wear them too school. I was also nice, and let them all leave their heavy backpacks in the van. I just wanted them all to be all be able to get themselves up that hill.........I wasn't about to carry anyone of them. My plan was that since John was actually going to be coming home at 5 pm for once, he could stop and throw them in his car to bring them up. They all had homework to do. We made it up in an hour. Not bad considering those boys of mine can't even stay on the road--they have to go exploring. Samuel had a hard time of it.......tired, plus on the the edge of getting sick. He made a few cute comments on the way up. "Mom, I'm going to die!" "Why don't you be nice and carry me." "I seriously need a good rest!" And the best one yet; we had made it only half way up when he looked at Jacob and says "Go run up that hill, and see what's on the other side, then come back and tell me." I had to laugh and told him that it was only another hill. This completely wore him out--he was in a mood the rest of the night.
~~
Come 6 pm, John comes walking in the door all sweaty and out of breath........lol............he isn't the one who ever has to walk the hill........so this was a shock to his body. His car was stuck at the bottom of the hill with all the back packs in it. Needless to say, the kids got a night off. Just as well, they all sat around watching a movie because they were so worn out. It was a very calm and good night. So either one of two things need to happen...........we need to have the kids walk the hill every night, or we do away with the homework!! They both seem to make it peaceful around here.
~~
This morning, we obviously had to walk down the hill to get to the van to go to school. The kids had fun with it this time. For some reason, downhill is easier then uphill we have all decided. As for the homework deal, I guess we will find out tonight what he teachers say with that. Below are some pictures of our trek down the hill this morning. There isn't any of Caleb and Cassidy, as they ran way ahead of us.........and had to wait in the van at the bottom for us.
~~
Oh, I have to mention for those who don't already know where we live. We live 1.3 miles up on top of a hill. It has 3-4 pretty steep hills, the rest is a casual grade. Takes about 45-60 minutes to walk up, and about 30 minutes to walk and slightly jog down it. The majority of winter we do park at the bottom, especially if we know it is going to storm. And during the mud season, it is always at the bottom, WE LOVE IT!!! (not)
Can I just tell you how sore my muscles are from exercising yesterday and walking up, plus walking down today. I am debating on whether to exercise today......because I still have to walk up one more time tonight with the kids again. Aagghhh!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hey jenny, with the boot thing... Sierra's teacher has them stash an extra pair of shoes at school so they can kick off their boots & get comfy in the classroom. good luck on "the dog ate my homework" alibi... I think that song & dance has been played in every which way! maybe the sled for the books? but then the kids will be dying to climb on the heap! I'd help ya but I don't have the 4 wheeler here, Brody has it, & besides, we all know you need the exercise!!!!

Anonymous said...

I will buy you chains if you use them, only 5 minutes per tire to put them on. and yet, I agree with bernadette, the walk will help you get a jump start with your exercise program. Maybe begal and max can be tied to a sled and pull the book bags up the hill... thanks for the pictures

Mike and Kristy said...

LOL!! I wish I could come walk to hill with you!! That sounds like awesome exercise-- it will take a week and then you will be use to it! And I would pull a sled for the books- that was a good idea! When you are ready- let me know so you can come enjoy some sun!! :)

Mike and Kristy said...

P.S. Good job on the exercise sis!!

Rayburn Family said...

Maybe John could come up with some kind of mechanical tow rope system. That would be awesome, and I bet he could do it too.