Saturday, April 11, 2009

We Wrecked Our Car

Last Saturday John had been working on the van's brakes and bearings. We needed one more part to put it all back together. So while the kid's were eating lunch, we decided he and I would go and pick up this car part. We were maybe half way there, on the highway, when a deer came darting across the road. John slammed on his brakes and we skidded for quite a ways. The deer hit the front end, and bounced onto the windshield, then rolled across the top before falling off. We heard a loud thump, and then an explosion, which sent little pieces of glass into our faces. I kept my eyes closed waiting for to see if we were going to go over the edge, or hit the guardrail. But we came to a stop perfectly on the berm of the road, as if we had just casually pulled off. We were fine. John cut up his finger a little when the windshield came in and hit the steering wheel with his hand there. I had many small cuts on my face, and a bigger cut where the metal from the top of the windshield came in and hit my head..........this one bled pretty good. I also got a good sized bruise and sore arm from when the rear view mirror went flying off and hit me in the shoulder. We had 2 policemen there, the ambulance, and the fire truck. They even offered us the deer to take home and put in the freezer.......lol. The tow truck came and got the car and us back to the bottom of our hill. Then because of the mud........me and John had to walk back up the hill to get home. (That didn't quite seem right to me, after being in an accident!)

1 comment:

Stephanie Pilling said...

I'm glad you guys are okay! That must have been scary!! I have to admit though--I'm a little sad my old aspire has bit the dust. I don't know if you know it, but that used to be my car. I was always comforted to know it had a good home and served a family. Sad that it died--but sounds like it was a good little car in the end keeping you safe!