Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap

This is for my sister-in-law JoAnn. I said I would put this on the blog a while ago, and am just now getting around to it. To explain simply, we make our own laundry soap. We have been doing this for a few months now, the sayings is extraordinary. If anyone is interested, this is how we do it. Remember this is for bulk....it makes 5 gallons at a time. We make it in a camping 5 gallon water thermos.
  • In a small pan, slice up 2 bars of soap (we prefer Irish Spring for the smell) and melt them in about 3 quarts water.
  • Fill up the 5 gallon container nearly to the top of warm water, leaving room for the melted soap.
  • To container next add 2 cups of Borax (found on top shelf of Walmart), and 2 cups of TSP cleaner (found in a hardware store).
  • Mix it up good (I use the broom handle).
  • Add melted soap to it, and mix well again.
  • Then let it sit overnight.
  • Before using, you will need to mix it slightly.

The results is a soft gel. And believe me, with 13 kids and stained clothes, I wouldn't be using it, if it didn't work. I have been addicted to ERA for the last 12 years or so. (Because it seems to keep things from getting stained.) I have found that this does the same. I have no complaints, the clothes smell good, and come out clean.

This 5 gallons will usually last us about a month. Each large load of clothes takes close to a cup. The cost to make 5 gallons is just under $3.00. Wonderful savings for something that really does work. The only negative thing, is that I have a 5 gallon container sitting near my washer.....not the most attractive thing I suppose. But I will deal with it.

Try it, you will like it!!!


No comments: