Saturday, March 14, 2009

Most Annoying

Oreo, giving me the look after I told them all to go back to their field.
(I think he looks a little on the guilty side!)

We have a cow (Oreo), a Cotswold/Border-Leicester sheep (Patch), and a Jacob sheep (Taz). And I suppose I might as well mention Joshua's dog (Max), and our 24 chickens. These four creatures and those strange chickens are absolutely drive me crazy!! We have a small shed that the sheep are in, or should I say, they SHOULD be in. And a three-strand electric fence that the cow SHOULD be staying in. For the chickens we have a small coop, with a large fenced run for them to peck around in--that they SHOULD be in. And hey, isn't a dog suppose to be really cute, and just lay on your front porch soaking up the sun? Ok, this is New England. Let me rephrase: Isn't a dog suppose to be really cute, and just lay on your front porch.
(Forget the sun part!)
Well, not my dear little animals--we have a 'funny farm' going on around here. The sheep hop over the gate of the shed, right on time every morning --as if they were running the show. With heads held high, they prance over to the cow. They all give each other the look, and plow right through that electric fence as though it was thread. They then continue to nestle their way under the tarp which is covering the hay bales and eat their own breakfast. The dog meets them down there, and they all give each other the look again. Then they altogether head up towards the chicken shed, where they manage to get into the rabbits food. When the chickens see that they are roaming free, they get the gumption to fly over their fence and be free also. Luckily they haven't yet figured out how to lift the latch to set him free yet--I am waiting for this one to happen! Next they invade the garage, since one of the kids always seems to manage to leave the door open each night. Here they leave remains for John all over the floor and his tool boxes--which can I say, he just totally loves--NOT!! In there, they are able to eat all the chicken food and grain they want, since they have figured out how to take the lids off the cans. On their own good time, they mousy around the house, peeking in the windows, and leaving more remains around the yard. They get on the porch and look in the door to see the kid's watching TV or coloring. Do you know how bad it makes your heart jump to walk by and see a large cow in your window or at your door? It always scares me at first. But then I do have to laugh because how many people get to have a cow and sheep come knocking at their door each day.
(I am assuming only me!)
About this time I open the window and tell them to get back down to their own spot. The funny thing is that they give me a look, like they weren't doing anything wrong (you know the look--the one the kid's give you also when you catch them doing something wrong!). Then they walk away back down to their field, and pretend they never left. So annoying!! I had to vent and share a little part of our life.
Hopefully it made your day--as for me, I have to go get the sheep off the porch again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's pretty funny. Sounds like you're at about the same level of control where I am when the deer roam in with their families to eat my gardens & then smile back up at me, "oh look, there's that nice lady that labors with love to provide us bountifully. Smile." Or when I used to chase my escaped goats with the riding lawn mower, funny for the neighbors maybe, not for me. They now reside in the freezer. I'll be glad to buy your eggs, I'm going sailing! love ~ jbj